[Tango-L] Headache

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Nov 30 08:50:34 EST 2006

Deby Novitz wrote:

> In my (our classes) we do not allow note taking. They >
need to concentrate on their body, their partner's body, the
music, the teachers - not a pad of paper. Note taking is for
science class not for dance class. You need to concentrate
on the  movements. If you are busy taking notes you are not
concentrating on the movements, OR, they are not natural
movements, OR they are too complicated and you should not be
learning them.
Well, when I go to BA, I'll know which classes NOT to take!!
Everybody learns DIFFERENTLY. Even though I concentrate on
my body, my partner's body, my teacher; I still make
mistakes because while I over concentrate on something, I
neglect something else. Once I become aware of a frame
problem, then I can execute the figure. My notes aren't just
step here, step there, they are lead the woman in X, etc. My
teacher gives me comments and I write them down so I'll
remember.

I've taken workshops where I forgot 20% 15 minutes after the
class, 50% after one hour and after that, I wonder what
exactly did I learn. Note taking forces me to think about
what I'm learning.

I attended a workshop where Daniel Trenner didn't allow
filming because filming is a spectator sport. Note taking is
permitted.

My notes get shorter the better I get. I guess after I know
all there is to know, I won't need any notes nor take any
classes.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Looking forward to the day I won't need notes

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango