[Tango-L] Headache

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 11:19:01 EST 2006

Lois,

   I was there in June and not only were the milongas
less crowded, but my 'regular' guys were going only
once or twice a week rather than 5-6 days a week ( to
the afternoon milongas).  Also, Miguel Angel, a
milonguero, told me I would be 'disappointed in the
level of dancing' compared to a few years ago.  He was
right.  My speculation is that after closing the
milongas for a year, folks got out of the habit or the
wives got onto the men who were whiling away their
hours in the milongas before coming home for dinner.
Several of the men who are wonderful dancers now also
believe they should be paid for the privilege of
dancing with them and have 'arrangements' with the
organizers and the women who opt for that service (
including MANY portenas!).

   I have said it before - I frequently get as many
very good tandas with wonderful leaders in the US in
one night as I do in several nights in BsAs.  The
portenas are also complaining and are much more
willing to dance with visiting men than they were in
the past.

Nancy

  Whatever the reasons,
--- Lois Donnay <donnay at donnay.net> wrote:

> Deby.
>
> I have been surprised to find the milongas much less
> crowded this year
> than in years past. Porteno y Bailarin, Gricel, El
> Beso, La National
> floors were quite navigable these last weeks. Only
> Salon Canning
> (which I dislike), and Nino Bien have been packed.
> Is it the end of
> month phenomenon?
>
> Lois Donnay
> Minneapolis
>
> Quoting Deby Novitz <dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com>:
>

> > Yes the floors here are crowded.  That is why I go
> to dance at 2:00 am.
> > Tango fantasia was never danced here in the
> milongas except by bumbling
> > foreigners who do not know better.  Some of your
> favorite name brands
> > dance plain old salon style when they are in the
> milongas and save the
> > fantasia for the stage where it belongs.  (Here it
> is called tango
> > ballet)  Most Argentines whether they dance or not
> do not consider stage
> > tango or any other tango other than salon,
> milonguero, etc. to be "their
> > tango."  You can say or think what you want, but
> the average Argentine
> > whether they dance or not is very passionate about
> tango being theirs.
> > Even when they hate it. At least to me it is
> wonderful to see people so
> > passionate about something.

<<Rito es la danza en tu vida
     y el tango que tu amas