[Tango-L] Headache

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Wed Nov 29 21:08:31 EST 2006

I have been trying to read all these threads on how to step, how to
turn, how to dance beautifully, blah, blah, blah.  All I can say is that
if this had been 7 years ago when I was first learning to dance I would
have had a major headache trying to figure out what you guys are talking
about. Are you guys printing this stuff out and trying to do it?  I
realize that many of you do not live in places where there are an
abundance of instructors.  However, tango in my opinion cannot be
learned like a computer program dissected down to its lowest common
denominator.

In my (our classes) we do not allow note taking.  The student may film
the lesson, but not take notes.  They need to concentrate on their body,
their partner's body, the music, the teachers - not a pad of paper.
Note taking is for science class not for dance class. I don't care if
you are dancing tango, salsa, or swing.  You need to concentrate on the
movements.  If you are busy taking notes you are not concentrating on
the movements, OR, they are not natural movements, OR they are too
complicated and you should not be learning them.

Someone said only women take notes.  You know, that could be true for
that person.  But I can only remember guys taking notes.  Must be a
gender thing.

Next off, generally speaking most musicians cannot and do not dance.
But do not dismiss all of them.  My new partner Fernando Diaz teaches
and plays guitar.  The women on this list who have been to BsAs and have
taken lessons with him will attest to the contrary.  Not only is he an
excellent teacher he is a very good dancer.

Yes the floors here are crowded.  That is why I go to dance at 2:00 am.
Tango fantasia was never danced here in the milongas except by bumbling
foreigners who do not know better.  Some of your favorite name brands
dance plain old salon style when they are in the milongas and save the
fantasia for the stage where it belongs.  (Here it is called tango
ballet)  Most Argentines whether they dance or not do not consider stage
tango or any other tango other than salon, milonguero, etc. to be "their
tango."  You can say or think what you want, but the average Argentine
whether they dance or not is very passionate about tango being theirs.
Even when they hate it. At least to me it is wonderful to see people so
passionate about something.

Today a remis driver brought a young Italian man to a private lesson
with Fernando and I.  He is a nuevo tango dancer.  Surprise! Surprise!
He has come to Buenos Aires to learn traditional tango.  He said he
could take classes in Rome, but he decided that if he came here he would
have access to lots of good teachers rather than just a few.  His
comments after today's lesson?  "This is really hard, much more than
nuevo."  He is bound and determined to learn traditional tango and kept
cursing himself for allowing his nuevo moves to invade his lesson.  He
says that more young people in Italy want to learn traditional tango.
They want to come here.

I do not know why some people get so upset because people look to Buenos
Aires as the mecca of tango.  Do you get that upset over people who go
to Scotland to learn to play bagpipes?  Or clogging?  Or go to Cuba to
learn salsa or play the congas?  I can never remember anyone in the
salsa community getting so blown out because people loved to go to Cuba
to dance salsa for all the same reasons people like to come here for tango.

Yeech!  I would never go to La Viruta...except to eat dinner on Friday
nights.

Piazolla is for listening.  That is the general consensus here in Buenos
Aires.  But hey, they dance East Coast Swing (Excuse me Rock and Roll)
to Creedence Clearwater, so what do they know.