[Tango-L] step

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Nov 28 19:53:50 EST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 5:37 PM, Darrell Sanchez wrote:

> 	These clearly define a step as to locomote, travel, cover some
> distance (large or small), stride, etc., using the feet to leave
> and return
> to the ground. Your use of the term "stationary step" seems to me
> more in
> the category of a weight change and you are referring it to what
> people do
> with the rest of the body in relation to it. Why not call a step
> and step
> and a weight change a weight change?
>
> Darrell Sanchez
> Colorado

Darrell,

You are breaking one of the rules of this thread by using only three
paragraphs to explain something.

The concept of a step-in-place or the together-step is one that I
have enjoyed working with extensively for the past couple of years.
The issue is about resolutions and beginnings of a musical phrase,
and also about suspension and surge. Tango movement needs this breath
or dynamic.

Without resolutions, suspensions and surges, your dance is one-long-
run-on-sentence-with-no-commas-and-no-perieods, a robotic sense of
movement.

I'm not sure how these energetic concepts fit in with Jake & Brian's
extensive discussions about ochos (or not), crossed feet (or not),
salidas, matrices....

But to tell you the truth, I stopped reading that discussion last
week, so maybe it has moved on to other details.

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org
2525 Birch St
Denver, CO 80207