[Tango-L] step

Darrell Sanchez darsan at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 28 19:37:54 EST 2006

>6. The stationary-step thing remains a topic of interest to me. Anyone
>wanna pick that one up?
>
>Jake Spatz
>DC

	I don't want to get too involved in this analysis but you posed a
question a few emails back asking what is a step. The term "stationary step"
seems to me a confusing oxymoron. Consider the following definitions for the
word step:

step  (stp)
n.
1.
a. The single complete movement of raising one foot and putting it down in
another spot, as in walking.
b. A manner of walking; a particular gait.
2.
a. The distance traversed by moving one foot ahead of the other.
b. A very short distance: just a step away.
3. One of a series of rhythmical, patterned movements of the feet used in a
dance

	These clearly define a step as to locomote, travel, cover some
distance (large or small), stride, etc., using the feet to leave and return
to the ground. Your use of the term "stationary step" seems to me more in
the category of a weight change and you are referring it to what people do
with the rest of the body in relation to it. Why not call a step and step
and a weight change a weight change?

Darrell Sanchez
Colorado