[Tango-L] Community Expansion Brainstorming

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Tue Nov 28 12:24:23 EST 2006

I will reply to several messages in one.  This is just for fun. I
refuse to choose my words here and I spit my opinions without
justifying any of them for this message.  So here it goes:

1.  The ranting gives away the cluelessness.
To say, like Robert had said, "I hate this "in Buenos Aires they do it
like this and that is the only way", one better had mastered the way
they do it in BA or just be quiet because these words become nonsense.
  If you do not know the BA way, you have no clue what is the way, the
only way, or some other way.  But if you do know the BA way, then you
would be quiet about all this naturally because your knowledge would
not permit you to dimiss the BA way.

2. I know of only one musician who is an amazing tango dancer.  The
rest are fakes or struggling.  Better stick to music. Trying to be
both often creates mediocrity in both.

3. Piazzolla did not like dancers.  He did not write for them.  Great
for musicians, bad for dancers.  Piazzolla did not write tango.  He
did not want to. He fused classical music, tango and jazz.  Musicians
should know this.

4.  Swedish musicians trying to play Be-Bop will not learn it even if
they go to NYC.  You have to live and breath the culture that produced
the music and not just play the notes.  If you did not get it with
your mother's milk, you might just forget about it (unless you had a
very International mother)!  This applies to musicians only.  Dancers
transcend this problem.

5. Tango is an art form to some and a social dance to others.  The
context must be specified in the discussion.  Otherwise, there is a
danger of a big fight.

6. Ron said, "The first generation of homegrown American
instructors were trained to teach a dumbed down version of tango
fantasia. (8-count basic, the sandwich, ganchos, high boleos - rarely
seen at Buenos Aires milongas)".

NOT TRUE.  The first generation of dancers in the US was taught by
people like Pablo and Esther Pugliese and Daniel Trenner and the
emphasis was on walking in various systems. Basic elements were
intoduced so that people could practice movement and dance socially.
Pablo and Esther intensely focused on the quality of the embrace.

Daniel emphasized the relational aspects of the dance between partners
and focused on intense connection.  Dancers spent hours, HOURS, doing
nothing but connection in movement work. He stressed and promoted the
"authentic" way.  He encouraged people to go to BsAs and experience it
for themselves.  This was the EXPERIENTIAL learning - something you
cannot do outsied of Argentina.  Daniel told stories of famous old
dancers in BsAs and taught people to respect what they had brought and
created in tango.  The first generation of dancers knew what each one
of those old dancers had brought to tango that was unique and was that
person's mark on the dance.  Each one had something special, like his
own salida.  This was just like the famous orchestras, where each one
had their own unique ending.

The steps came later with the next generations of dancers and
confusion and chaos descended like a dark cloud.

I will put something more substantial in another e-mail because the
issue of quality has many aspects to it.

Kindest regards to all,

Nina