[Tango-L] Direction: Stationary steps

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Tue Nov 28 05:15:54 EST 2006

As an addendum to my recent points regarding stationary steps, I wanted
to include the following observations.

A stationary weight-shift (or step) not only defies the open-cross
categories (in my view), but doesn't even require changing feet.

The "Tete salida" referred to earlier (see examples on YouTube) is a
perfect example. The leader may lead a step by shifting weight from the
heel to the toe _of one foot_. That's how I sometimes lead such a
maneuver, anyway. (This is a counterpoint technique I class under
"scaling": the single foot of the leader "scales up" to correspond to
the follower's extension-shift-collection step complex.)

A pivot need not be involved in such a step, but often is. That being
the case, and since the leader's unweighted leg need not be anywhere in
particular (let's suppose it's out behind him or still coming in, as
often occurs in my dance when I lead this),
consider that:
    =depending on the angle of his torso, he will have "led himself"
into either an open-step, crossed-step, or head-on ("neither")
_position_-- which will be clear even without resort to the
"topological" reshaping method (thanks for suggesting the term, Huck)
    =he has _not_ changed feet, but he _has_ done a weight-shift (or the
second part of one, which amounts to the same thing)
    =I honestly don't know whether to say he's "taken a step" or not,
because I don't know whether to define a "step" as a leg movement
(thereby excluding this thing), a change of weight (same foot or other
foot?), or a change of axis (thereby including this thing)

Whether we work out the definition muddle or not, I can still do the
thing. But I want to understand it better, I want to know it in context
and in relation to other movements and to music. Perhaps it falls
outside the currently used, widely accepted modes of analysis. Fine. So
what mode does it fall within? What makes it work? What else can we do
with that sort of device? Knowing that will get me somewhere on the
dance floor, give me more to play with. And knowing how such a thing
relates to other technique (and to good form) can help me decide whether
it's worth refining or scrapping.

Jake Spatz
DC