[Tango-L] Directional notation

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Tue Nov 21 19:44:32 EST 2006

Jake:
A dancer's direction is based on the direction their hips
are facing. (My ballroom teacher says direction is based on
the direction my feet are facing.)
For example, let's say I'm going to do front sacadas while
the woman does a molinete to my right. To begin, I lead her
in a front ocho to my left. After her pivot on her left
foot, she steps (to my right) forward on her right foot. I
step forward toward her trailing foot. Both of us are
stepping forward but our forward is in a different
direction. It's like cars on the Washington Beltway. The
cars are going forward on both sides of the median strip.
Some are going clockwise and some are going
counterclockwise, but the cars are going forward. Now, for a
New York example. The Staten Island ferry only goes forward
because wheelhouses are built at both ends. It NEVER has to
be turned around.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Away from Washington for the holidays. Amtrak was only 30
minutes late today into New Haven.