[Tango-L] Close in body vs. Closed in mind

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Nov 17 14:52:35 EST 2006

There's an issue here that keeps cropping up in social tango, and will
probably always crop up. In the present discussion ("Different styles"
and "How close is too close" etc.), it revolves around the issue of
whether a firm, mashed-together embrace-- or even a close one-- is
desired or not, by all or by any. Janis avoids coming to any conclusions
regarding this particular topic, but states later that the tango is all
about the embrace, and that young people will realize this in the
fullness of their future wisdom.

Without getting too vehement, I'd like to point out that such comments
are rather reductive-- or at least come from a reductive attitude, which
is unable to transcend, and thereby accept, minor differences.

Perhaps it's my youth, but I see no problem with variety, whether of
embrace or anything else. Not only different dancers, but different
orchestras call for different styles; and in the DJ age, where a venue
can have 12 orchestras rather than one, variety ought to be a
cornerstone in every dancer's training. To always want a tight embrace,
or always prefer something with distance, or always dance open, is to me
a mark of musical insensitivity and even creative atrophy.

Likewise, to state that one major element-- the embrace, e.g.-- is of
primary import to everyone (or will be if only they age enough), is
dogmatic. No dance can be complete without a good embrace, quality
movement, and creative musicality. These are the major features of
social tango, as I identify them. But to suppose, let alone insist, that
one must be of _superior_ importance to everyone is foolish. The vast
majority of dancers would put the embrace foremost, yes; but a smaller
minority dance for movement (or even moves), and still others would
claim their inspiration comes most certainly from the music.

Good dancers enjoy all three aspects-- I'm not disputing that. Yet one
aspect almost always seems more central for every dancer. Without
question, I'd say I dance for the music. Had I encountered any
embrace-centered dogma in my earliest experience, I might have thought I
just didn't get it, and gotten frustrated for no reason, even if no one
complained about my embrace. I suspect many beginning dancers are put
off by statements of that kind. They're as stifling, and no less
confusing, than the apparent contradictions in technique, which appear
_as contradictions_ only when teachers sideline variety and make claims
about "the way" to do things.

Luckily, not everyone is so pushy about these matters.

Unluckily, many dancers get more closed-minded about things the longer
they dance. And-- to reiterate an old polemic of mine-- the worst comes
from those who think they've Discovered something in BA. If memory
serves, I don't think I've ever heard reductive or dogmatic statements
from actual portenos, unless they're being (mis)paraphrased by foreigners.

I do realize this may seem an over-subtle or hairsplitting point. But
the impact on students is large.

Jake Spatz
DC

=POSTSCRIPT=
Whether dancers "dance for" the connection (i.e., embrace), the
movements, or the music, as their most central motive, is probably a
decisive factor in whether they consider themselves primarily social
dancers, performers, or analysts. (All kinds teach.) Most people dance
for the connection, and most consider themselves social dancers-- and I
see an obvious link there. But that is only one mode of tango dancing,
and it need not be exclusive-- a point I'm sure Igor would agree with,
based on his refusal to acknowledge that there's a deep split between
social and stage dancing. It's really just a question of priorities and
of purposes.

I'm also sure a lot of dancers would identify themselves in all three
roles, as I do (on a good day). But I'm also confident that every good
dancer could pick one role, without much hesitation, as the one in which
their contribution to a community is probably most valuable. And I bet
that role would line up with their foremost motive for dancing as well.