[Tango-L] Now that I?m here in BsAs

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Sat Nov 11 13:44:46 EST 2006

> How I wish I could bring over the entire tango community from back
> home to this place so they could learn to dance the Argentine way
> so that I can selfishly have the same experience in Montreal as I
> do here.

Maybe they don't want to dance "the Argentine way".

It's a free world.

Seriously...

Your comment is probably not so much on the "Argentine Way", as on
the distinction between social tango and show or fantasy tango. I am
NOT saying there is anything wrong with stage tango, but in Argentina
people at the milongas are more aware of proper contex. They honor
social tango at the milongas and appreciate the athletism of fantasy
tango on stage.

Your experience upon arrival in Buenos Aires is typical enough. The
crowd of dancers at Canning has a generalized style or narrow range
of styles with a lot of rhythmic steps ocho-cortados, and close-close
embrace, typically called salon or club or milonguero (yes, even in
Buenos Aires they use that term).  I've also noticed on my visits to
Buenos Aires how easy it is to spot the foreigners who dance very
differently from the rest of the milonga attendees, using stage
elements like ganchos and wide apart embrace.

BUT, if you pay closer attention and you will discover a large number
of foreigners who fit right in.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking Argentines are THIS and
foreigners are THAT. Even the argentines have this stereotype that
foreigners can't dance tango, to the point that they seem surprised
that I learned outside Argentina. ("Sabes lo que es piropo? Bueno,
voy decirle un piropo, mas un piropr de verdad: No bailes como
estranjero )

In fact, there are a lot of Argentines who are beginners. Tango has
grown very rapidly in Buenos Aires, and you will find a lot of 3 and
5 year dancers in the milongas these days. 10 years ago, there were
fewer milongas, with a lot more 20 & 40 year dancers by percentage.
On my more recent trips, I've noticed that navigation can be pretty
rough, and it isn't just the foreigners clogging up the floor.

I want to highlight one thing in your comments about musicality,
embrace and feel. Even a beginner Argentine usually brings passion,
intensity, a special embrace and appreciation of the music to the
dance. They know what tango looks like and in a cultural sense what
it feels like. If it is hard outside of Argentina to communicate how
to manage a social dance floor, it requires a greater effort to teach
non-Argentines the feel of the dance.

Also, if you traveled more, you would discover that you can find good
tango outside of Buenos Aires.

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org
2525 Birch St