[Tango-L] Now that I?m here in BsAs

Caroline Polack runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 11 12:34:04 EST 2006

Iºve realized that what I thought I knew about tango, I actually didnºt know
at all. Have only been here five days but have already gone to several
milongas (Gricel, Nino Bien, Salon Canning, Confiteria Ideal). The first two
days, I was absolutely terrified to jump in and dance because I felt so
incompetent in comparison to the locals. Then one afternoon, I forced myself
to go to Confiteria Ideal, on my own. Just being there was an incredible
experience and then 3 and a half hours later, when I finally left, due to
massive blisters on my feet from breaking in new tango shoes, I felt as
though I was coming back down to earth. I had danced non stop with one
porteno after another. One lovely porteno, who noticed that I was a bit
stiff (jetlag, oncoming cold, blisters) said to me in broken english, "close
your eyes and sleep". And so I did, I closed my eyes and in this dreamlike
state, felt as though my partner was telling me a poetic story through his
body, his dancing, his tight embrace. Iºve never experienced anything like
that in my life. My entire body felt as though I had just imbibed a glass of
wine and thus was relaxed from its liquid in my veins.

The best way to describe what itºs been like dancing with them, itºs as
though Iºd been given passage to a secret world where senses collide in the
form of tango. It seems so silly now, how obsessive I was about getting the
steps right, back home in my hometown. For thatºs so secondary, itºs the
musicality that is what tango is all about. Each nuance of each movement is
a response to a note in the song. The portenos, they hold you in close till
you are forehead to forehead, cheek to cheek, chest to chest, and with all
those connection points, itºs almost impossible to make a mistake, for when
you follow their leads, you do so not with thought but with instinct, like
breathing.

I have a bad cold and blisters on my feet and I donºt care. All I think
about is where and when to go to the next milonga.

And now Iºm already feeliing sad because I know that this experience may
never be again replicated when I go home unless I get lucky enough to dance
with men who are either Argentine or who had learned the tango here in
Argentina.

Last night, at Salon Canning, there was a busload of tourists pouring into
the milonga. As I sat with my friend and watched them, I almost winced to
see how out of place they seemed with their awkward open embrace, or overly
fanciful steps. All I could think to myself was "they just donºt get it,
they really don't." When you look at the locals, they are calm, beatific,
confident. They do not need to step on every single note. They know how to
put as much into a pause as they do into a step. The tourists, on the other
hand, seemed almost trying too hard to impress upon others that they know
what they are doing while completely missing the point.

The dance floor was very crowded and yet all the portenos danced together in
a perfect flow. It was the tourists dancing with each other that were
disrupting the flow, or hurting others by kicking up their heels which is a
big no no! It should be blatantly obvious that such boleos donºt belong
where there isnºt room for them and obvious how discourteous it is to others
and I must say kudos to the Argentines for their gracious and benign
tolerance. The female tourists, I knew, once they danced with a porteno,
will change their style but the men, because they are the leaders, it will
take them much longer to understand.

How I wish I could bring over the entire tango community from back home to
this place so they could learn to dance the Argentine way so that I can
selfishly have the same experience in Montreal as I do here.

For months, I had heard that in BsAs, itºs not about knowing all this
advanced tango stuff, itºs about the music, about your partner, itºs about
translating how the music affects you through your body to your partner. I
danced okay in Montreal but there was always a bit of awkwardness somehow
but here, my dancing had improved so naturally fast because my mindset
shifted from doing the steps properly to closing my eyes and "sleep".

There arenºt any words to describe the bliss Iºm feeling right now.