[Tango-L] about Tango

Alberta Gallino amgallin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 02:18:25 EST 2006

Dear all,

I very recently joined this list. I am just a beginner in Tango and I
like dancing it.
I love to write, and I have introduced Tango into my writing.  I am not
writing ON Tango, however, it plays a role and I would like to get
a clearer idea about the way people "live" it.
I don't pretend to be a writer, and I cannot pretend to know Tango
well. That is why I would like to ask for your help.

I am looking for suggestions from people who know this dance well, but
also from beginners/amateurs.
It's the personal way in which people feel this music and maybe dance
it that can help me to understand the role of Tango in my story.

thanks to all,

Now I start with some questions:

1) Which points do you consider typical in a Tango?

2) How would you describe the melody and the rhythm of Tango (at least
of 'one' tango)?

3) Are there fundamental parts describing the music and the way it develops?

4) Does some tension in dancing remain even for very good dancers?

Someone told me that it's important to relax while dancing, what does
it mean?

5) And how do you (personally-if you like) live this dance in
connection with your culture/temperament/personality?

I guess if you were born in BsAs and you are quite extrovert the way
you experienceTango will be different than if you were born in a small
town in the north of France and you are shy.

I am not sure I have formulated the questions in the best way, but I tried. :)
Any answer is very welcome (to the list or just to me). What you
tell me will help me to understand what such a dance means to
people (and not just to the great dancers/composers, etc... which is
also interesting-but it's not the whole story).

thanks in advance to all,
Alberta