[Tango-L] Milonguero style, style vs. technique

Ed Doyle doyleed at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 10:35:08 EST 2006

My experience has been that teachers often use some 'step' or even a 'step
sequence' as a means to teach some movement such as a gancho or sacada. I
suppose some see the point as learning the sequence, but I don't think that
is what the teachers are trying to get across. They are trying to show the
correct posture, technique, style, musical possibilities of a particular
movement and use some step or sequence to demonstrate possibilities for it's
use. Also, if it is a group class, then it is easier for the instructor to
watch the entire group and observe who is 'getting it' and who is struggling
if for the most part, everyone is doing the same sequence or steps. It makes
it easier for the instructor to spot who is 'out of sync'. I don't ever take
away from the class that I am suppose to now go to a milonga and dance the
sequence or steps as taught in the class, but rather apply the movement
properly as the music, floor conditions, my partner, my mood, allow. Just my
2 cents, I am not trying to suggest other points of view are not just as
valid.

Ed