[Tango-L] Style "vs." technique

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Sat Nov 4 17:40:58 EST 2006

Hi, Jake, and everyone,

Here, I quote Voltaire:

"I disagree with everything you say, and to the death I will defend
your right to say it."

Jake, basically you are right.  An unfinished piece of ivory (or
clay, since I prefer it) running around the world of myths an fables
can be a pretty ugly thing.  And focusing too much on the sculpting
material often makes people miss the whole point of the artwork.

Professional dancers who have studies ballet, modern, etc. know the
difference between style and technique and can recognize them as two
separate entities wherever they see it.  Social dancers who have
never bothered to take a classical dance class or learn about the
movement of the body through some other methods, such as yoga,
gyrotonics, etc., are frauds as teachers of dance because they do not
understand that thing that they think they are teaching.

Dancers who have the technique have no problem with "economizing"
their movement or make it more precise and efficient.  They do it in
a split second and it is done as soon as their attention is pointed
to it.  They also have no problem interpreting DiSarli or Donato in a
technically and stylistically appropriate way.  They do not have to
spend years in group classes and private lessons struggling to put
movement to the music.  The style becomes effortless when a dancer
knows how to move his or her body in accordance with the requirements
of the dance.

One of the legendary dancers and teachers in Buenos Aires once said
that there is a difference between tango teachers who make dancers
and those who make dance students.

Please carry on with your discussion!

Kindest regards,

Nina