[Tango-L] Travelers' Tips for Buenos Aires

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Nov 1 09:23:07 EST 2006

Hi listeros/as

  Banco Nacion Argentina have two booths ( with a schedule of 24 hours open ) at Ezeiza airport, one at Terminal A ( where most of the international companies arrive) and another  at Terminal B , where the flights of Aerolineas Argentinas arrive , I think also some other companies as British Airways & Quantas.
  There is an useful site for the airport , with english comments
  www.aa2000.com.ar

  And concerning local  paper notes and counterfeit measures, the argentine central bank has also an information , english version available, on their website at  http://www.bcra.gov.ar/index_i.htm .There is an entry for Bank notes and coins, and under this entry , another one " Current Banknotes and coins" that shows the paper notes and coins and how to know if they are counterfeit or not.

  Coins .....are scarce in Buenos Aires, everyone at shops asks you " tiene cambio ??/ do you have change ??" , also subway  token vending posts ahve signs in spanish "no tenemos monedas de 5 y 10 , colabore / we do not have coins of 5 and 10 cents, cooperate" .The reason of this scarce of coins is a mystery .....

  Local milongas charges an entrance fee , that could be around ARP 6 to ARP 10 . In some milongas, if there is a live show or music played by orchestra , entrance fee could be higher .

  warm regards
  alberto gesualdi
  buenos aires

Bibi Wong <bibibwong at hotmail.com> escribió:

> > Still if you must change money in the airport,... Instead, as you leave
>customs, find the Banco
> > Nacional office (if I recall properly, its to the right) where you will
>get
> > something close to the current market rate.

The location is correct, immediately to the right hand side.
There is also an ATM by the bank accepting Star system, if I recall
correctly.

At the bank, there are brochures that educate visitors about counterfeit
paper currency.

Not sure about the bank hours, but most of the international flights arrive
at daytime, so it is ok.

Bibi