[Tango-L] Qualities of female leaders, was Thoughtful men....

Marisa Holmes mariholmes at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 19:39:21 EDT 2006

Nancy wrote:

"My experience has been that the few women leaders
with whom I dance have perfect balance and never
disturb mine; have sensitive, subtle body leads with
no man-handling, ever; posess awesome musicality and
timing; practice extraordinary floorcraft."

Meanwhile, Caroline wrote:

"And I'd be the first to tell you that I much prefer
to be led by a man because women are too gentle, too
soft with perhaps the exception of my tango
teacher..."

I often wonder, since I lead, but do not have much
chance to follow other women, whether there is
actually anything that distinguishes us as a group
from male leaders.  I'd like to believe Nancy
(although perhaps I would not be one of the few women
leaders with whom she would dance more than once ;->
).  But I think I see something different when I see
other women leading.  Are there good followers (of
either sex) who can comment on general differences
between male and female leaders?  Or are there only
individual differences?

To answer this question, I think you need to have
danced with both male and female leaders of different
skill and experience levels (I realize that in many
communities it is hard to have enough experience of
female leaders to do this) - and to make sure that you
are comparing people of similar ability with one
another.  For example, do not compare the experienced
guys you dance with whenever possible to your female
friends who have been leading for a couple of months,
whom you dance with as a favor.  Or, do not compare
women who teach and who have been leading for a number
of years, working hard to improve, with the beginner
and intermediate guys you feel obliged to encourage.

What do you say?  What is your experience?
Marisa