[Tango-L] Women leading IV

Caroline Polack runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Wed May 31 13:33:48 EDT 2006

Okay, I think we are perhaps getting a bit off-track.

So far, we've been talking about women leading. But somehow, somewhere along
this line of discussion, there's now this assumption that women who lead
only want to lead and never follow.

Indeed, I don't think that's the case at all. I would like to be able to
lead once in a while but most of the time, I'm quite happy to follow. In
fact, now that I am learning a bit about leading, I've become a much better
follower because I am able to understand the leader much better and I am
much more able to completely relax and hand over the reins to him.

Let me see if I can find an example.... okay, here's one. For a long time,
my sister did not know how to drive a car. I hated having her in my car
because she was always freaking out and thinking that we were on the verge
of death even though in my 18 years of driving, I've yet to be in an
accident. She would be pressing down the imaginary brake or she would be
whipping her head around checking my blind spots and driving me literally to
distraction. There had even been a time once at 3 in the morning that I
pulled over to a taxi stand and kicked her out because I've had it. After
she took a driver's course and got her license, she completely changed. Now,
when she's in my car, she's very relaxed and completely trusting.

Now, for me, the more I understand how to lead, the better of a follower I
become. In other words, if I learn to drive, I would be a more understanding
and comfortable passenger. Of course, only times I don't get to drive the
car, it's because the man wanted to drive, take control.

Only time I would want to lead is if I want to demonstrate something to my
partner, or if I am in tango class where the men are far outnumbered by
women, or I couldn't resist wanting to dance to the music my way, not his
way.

some of the world's best woman tango dancers are also some of the best
leaders. To me, this is a bonus point. Sometimes women dance together to
learn something from each other or because it's just fun. That's it, nothing
else. It is by no means an attempt to bastardize tango and turn it into a
spoof of itself.

Here in Montreal, we're very relaxed about same-gender tango. It's not
common but should there be far more women than men at a milonga, you are
going to see two women dancing together, they are usually older, not as
sought after as the younger women. And the general attitude to this is very
accepting. It's almost like watching your mother and aunt having a jig at a
family barbecue. I've heard stories of mothers and aunts passing down the
teachings of tango to their daughters by dancing with them.  That's it,
nothing more. It's not as though they prefer to dance with women, it's more
a matter of taking what you've got and making the most of it. When two women
dance together, you're right, it doesn't have that electric sexual charge
that would occur between a man and a woman. Instead, it's more like an
exchange of friendship. Girls are very different from boys that way. girls
tend to be more open, physically and emotionally than boys. They walk arm in
arm, or hold hands, just simply because they are girls.  It's the same in
tango. It's not so strange for women to dance together as it might have been
for men. perhaps men think or hope there's some lesbian element but I can
tell you that indeed it's not. Someone said that they would never ask a
woman to dance if they see her dancing with another woman. Have you ever
tried? and if so, what was their reaction? I would like to know.

A couple of times at workshops that would usually take place for an hour
before the actual Milonga begins, I danced with a woman leader only because
there were not enough men. And I'd be the first to tell you that I much
prefer to be led by a man because women are too gentle, too soft with
perhaps the exception of my tango teacher who was the same woman I saw
leading a man at a milonga weeks ago. And let me tell you, she's as feminine
as you can get.

I dont know, maybe it's a cultural thing. In Montreal, we're very liberal
and open-minded. We know that tango is a dance between a man and a woman and
we don't dispute that or even try to challenge it. But we are not opposed to
same gender-dancing. It's not so common to see men dancing together except
if one had a question about leading and the other was answering by
demonstrating. It's so obvious that it's a learning exercise for them that
we don't even blink. Same goes for women. You have to understand, women love
to dance and they really don't want to be sitting on that chair all night.
But men being typically men, they tend to go for the younger women even if
they have much less experience. Those older women would have never a chance
to dance at all if another woman didn't go up to them and say "let's have
some fun and dance." And in fact, once the men had a chance to see how well
those older women dance, then they start coming over to ask.

I dont know, it's just funny to me that men are so alarmed and threatened by
the idea of a woman wanting to lead once in a while as if she wants to usurp
their role and thus their existence in the tango world. Believe me,
gentlemen, that will never happen. Women prefer to dance with men and that
will never change.

to offer.
first two months FREE*.