[Tango-L] Men dancing with men

Lucia curvasreales at yahoo.com.ar
Tue May 30 10:51:27 EDT 2006

Sergio,

  Even today men dance with men, women with women, whenever they feel  lonely and friendly, have a drink, there is good music and the opposite  sex may, or may not be close by. And it doesn't even have to be Tango...

  Lucia

Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com> escribió:  Caroline says:  1 - "Isn't it true that at the beginning, when tango first
began, men were dancing with men before they became "learned" enough in
order to dance with a woman?

2 - Why couldn't that be the case for women? Why wouldn't a woman want to
learn to lead so she would learn to become an even better follower?

3 - What's wrong with wanting to learn more about tango from your partner's
perspective? I mean, really, what's going to happen if a woman learns to
lead? Will the world of tango fall off its axis?

Caroline "

I have noticed that many posters depart from wrong or equivocal assumptions
to draw false or equivocal conclusions.

1 - In this particular case we correctly say that at the beginning men
danced with men to become learned enough in order to dance with women.

2 - Here we are assuming that when a woman learns to lead she becomes a
better follower.

     This could be a matter for discussion.

3 - (see above)This is another subject that deserves discussion.

The false premise here is that men practiced with each other as followers to
become better leaders.

The truth was : Men had to practice with each  other because there were no
women to do it with.  If doing the follower's part made them better leaders
that was an added bonus but not the purpose of this practice.

They practiced as followers to give a partner the chance to do his leading
part knowing that later it would be his turn to lead. No man practiced as a
follower to then be able to dance as a follower either. They sometimes do it
in exhibitions.

Men then always danced as leaders at the milongas, they never intended to
dance as followers.

There is a big difference between what was/is done by men and what we are
discussing here  which is women dancing as leaders at the milongas.

Another warm day in the north east, enjoy it, Sergio.