[Tango-L] Men dancing with men

Derik Rawson rawsonweb at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 10:47:16 EDT 2006

Dear Sergio:

Thank you for the clarification.  I agree with you.
Men should seek to become better leaders, and women
should seek to become better followers.  Men and women
should dance together whenever there is a choice.  Men
should not chose to be followers and women should not
choose to be leaders.

Derik
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com

--- Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Caroline says:  1 - "Isn't it true that at the
> beginning, when tango first
> began, men were dancing with men before they became
> "learned" enough in
> order to dance with a woman?
>
> 2 - Why couldn't that be the case for women? Why
> wouldn't a woman want to
> learn to lead so she would learn to become an even
> better follower?
>
> 3 - What's wrong with wanting to learn more about
> tango from your partner's
> perspective? I mean, really, what's going to happen
> if a woman learns to
> lead? Will the world of tango fall off its axis?
>
> Caroline "
>
> I have noticed that many posters depart from wrong
> or equivocal assumptions
> to draw false or equivocal conclusions.
>
> 1 - In this particular case we correctly say that at
> the beginning men
> danced with men to become learned enough in order to
> dance with women.
>
> 2 - Here we are assuming that when a woman learns to
> lead she becomes a
> better follower.
>
>      This could be a matter for discussion.
>
> 3 - (see above)This is another subject that deserves
> discussion.
>
> The false premise here is that men practiced with
> each other as followers to
> become better leaders.
>
> The truth was : Men had to practice with each  other
> because there were no
> women to do it with.  If doing the follower's part
> made them better leaders
> that was an added bonus but not the purpose of this
> practice.
>
> They practiced as followers to give a partner the
> chance to do his leading
> part knowing that later it would be his turn to
> lead. No man practiced as a
> follower to then be able to dance as a follower
> either. They sometimes do it
> in exhibitions.
>
> Men then always danced as leaders at the milongas,
> they never intended to
> dance as followers.
>
> There is a big difference between what was/is done
> by men and what we are
> discussing here  which is women dancing as leaders
> at the milongas.
>
> Another warm day in the north east, enjoy it,
> Sergio.

Derik Rawson
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com
http://www.rawsonweb.com
713-522-0888 USA Landline Direct to Portable Cell Phone
281-754-4315 USA Landline Voice/Fax
d.rawson at cal.berkeley.edu
d.rawson at haas.alum.berkeley.edu
rawsonweb at yahoo.com