[Tango-L] Women leading I

Christopher L. Everett ceverett at ceverett.com
Fri May 26 18:35:32 EDT 2006

So far, the discussion is all in moral terms.

The arguments for tend to be appeals to practicality and/or quality.

Some arguments against, like Ricardo Vidort's, are appeals to tradition.

However, some arguments against amount to an appeal to "natural law",
with some but not all such arguments carrying a background assuption
that dancing with someone implies the possibility they might be getting
down and dirty later.  That is partially true, part of the time.

The important thing I notice about traditions is that the story (lifestyle
consciousness) about traditions rarely relate to their economic benefits
for cultures in terms of buffering unpredictability one way or another.

In purely economic terms, women leading women reduce the availablity
of partners for male dancers, and raise the standard they have to meet in
order to reliably secure dance partners.  Some might say the backlash is
all about men who can't dance getting a free pass on account of having a
Y chromosome.

There are multiple wins for women implied in women dancing together:

A) If they just want good dances, they can dance with women as well as
men and increase their options.

B) If they are using tango to sort potential male partners for the
horizontal
mambo, dancing with women sorts out perceived quitters and weaklings,
and challenges the remainder to step it up.

C) If there is an extreme shortage of men, women dancing together
is a win for sisterhood.

Only when the cost of dancing with other women exceeds the benefits,
will it ever end.  There are 2 ways to do that:  increase the direct costs
by creating negative social consequnces (essentially, namecalling and
other modes of expressing disapproval), or increasing the cost of
opportunity (dancing with a woman means passing up a more desirable,
male partner more often).

Christopher