[Tango-L] Some people ....A matter of courtesy, not of mercy

Ingrid Peterson ottango1 at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 19:27:29 EDT 2006

Dear Huck & Lucia,

  I believe that you both have valid points.  It's like the ying and the yang, both are equal yet different.  Women generally have to overcome men not asking them to dance while men generally have to overcome their fears in asking a woman to dance.  Neither out weighs the other one.

  Something to think about you two...

  I am a female dancer who both follows and leads, and believe me, there is a whole new bunch of issues that dancers like me have to overcome...  Not all women want to dance with another woman, open or close embrace.  Then again, there are woman that get to know me and have no problems dancing with me.  Not all men want to dance with me purely for the simple fact that I lead.  Now, other men aren't the least bit bothered by it.  In life, one has to take the good with the bad.  Frankly, I'm just happy to dance, to lead or to follow, to hear the music and just go...

  Ingrid from Hawaii.

Huck Kennedy <huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu> wrote:
  Lucia writes:
> *Men, you have no idea how hard is to be sitting any length
> of time without being invited to dance, you have no clue...

*yawn*

Women, you have no idea how hard it is to muster up
the courage to ask a woman to dance, only to have her
humiliate you with a reaction that in effect boils down
to, "No, I'm sorry, but wouldn't you know it, 11:24 pm
just happens to be the precise time I reserve each night
to powder my nose." Or maybe, "You want to dance with
pretty, young *me*? Well isn't *that* amusing. Shouldn't
you be asking my dad about when to set up a tee time on
the golf course instead?"

It's rough out in that big bad tango world, folks.
If you want more dances at the milonga, do whatever it
takes to get better (gee, this might actually entail
investing some time and money), and don't waste effort
blaming the world for not deigning to give you a mercy
dance.

Huck