[Tango-L] Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope...

burl burl burlq7 at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 11:53:58 EDT 2006

The charity dance seems to completely undermine the tango.  I feel I should try to dance every dance (and if I could mannage it, every step) at the top of my game.  It seems most disrespectful to the musicians (both live and long sense dead) to walk around to some of the finest music every written in an act of pity.

  I mean, do you really have the nerve to dance to Mi Refuglio hoping that your partner will feel so greatful for it she won't ever leave the tango community?

  Do you think recuerdo is just sort of background noise to help you fill up your wreck-room at the local high-school/dance-school with lonely dance hopefulls?

  I would be disgusted if I knew someone was dancing with me at a milonga because they hoped to help me grow into a great dancer one day.

  There is a sublime beauty in the tango, that I have yet to achieve in my dance, but I can see it and I can hear it and I wouldn't risk it for the sake of my dance community or even to be a good guy.

  So I don't do the charity dance.

  yours
  Burleigh