[Tango-L] Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope...

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 10:52:28 EDT 2006

I really try to dance with as many different women as
I can when at a milonga or a festival. I don't care
whether they are beginners, or how old they are, or
what they look like. I hate the gender disparity
generally present, and have a lot of respect for those
women who end up sitting much more than they would
prefer.

I don't mind women asking me to dance; I'm actually
flattered. I will occasionally say no because;
1. I need a break.
2. I've already danced with her.
3. She doesn't dance my chosen style.
4. I've identified her as one of those who is not
interested in improvement of her dance skills.
5. I've identified her as one who will repeatedly
dance with leaders who show no regard for the rules of
floorcraft.

There is no real solution. Leaders should not be
afraid to say no, and in many cases, provide the
reason behind that decision. This should be done
graciously and politely, but without fear of being
viewed as "ungraceful". Even if one or two followers
take exception to a refusal, will their opinion color
the perceptions of the community as a whole? No.

Followers should not ask the same leader to dance more
than once a night, and realize that the best way to
get dances is to work on their skills, and show a lot
of appreciation (and even some praise), to the leaders
who ask them.

And use the cabaceo! When I find a woman's penetrating
gaze directed at me with a smile, I regard that as
just as much of a request as a verbal one, and find it
impossible to refuse (except for reasons listed
above). And I like it better when women use the
time-honored and trial-tested method of the cabaceo.

And leaders, even the great ones, should show a bit of
chivalry and dance with as many as they can, as much
as they can, without undue regard to appearance or
skill level, except where it would conflict with their
"rules" such as the ones I listed.

And ladies, please take note of number 5 above. I will
refuse requests, and not ask you to dance, if I've
seen you participate in gross violation of rules of
floorcraft.

There is no real solution, except the proper use of
etiquette, and being able to say no.

Michael Figart II, Houston Tx
Denver in two days!!!!!