[Tango-L] The Language of Dance-Energy

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 14:12:19 EDT 2006

As we progress and grow in learning this incredible dance of Argentine
Tango, we slowly become aware of the limitless possibilities it provides
for expressing and conveying feelings and emotions, and in interpreting
the music in different ways. Unfortunately, the spoken word can be a
poor medium for communicating many of our thoughts and ideas, especially
when, for many of us, our passion for tango approaches a fanaticism
difficult, if not impossible, to describe.

So, when discussing, describing, or teaching, many times we end up
having to use words that are insufficient in truly portraying our real
ideas, and can never convey the real depth of our feelings. These ideas
and feelings are simply too esoteric and intense for mere words to
communicate. I'm sure that even the best poets sometimes feel fettered
by the limitations of language, but they keep trying; searching for that
perfect word or phrase.

I think good teachers will always try to instill passion in their
students, and use many words and phrases in many ways in their
endeavors. I've heard about chakras, force fields, and auras. Sticky
feet, flying like a bird, into the floor. I enjoy those teachers who are
creative in passing along their conceptions and their emotion. I also
enjoy trying to figure out what they really mean, how they really feel;
what it is that they are trying to get across. We all have a basic
understanding of the dictionary definition of the word "energy", and how
it relates to movement. Running takes more energy than walking, etc. But
is this what teachers are generally referring to? Maybe in competition
and stage it is more customary to use the terms energy and vigor
synonymously, but not in the classes I've taken. When a teacher uses
terms like "axis" and balance", they are referring to actual physical
mechanics of movement, but I've never heard one say to use "20 more
joules of energy in your left leg".

My experience with the term "energy" is that it is used more often
referring to artistic and expressive qualities of dance, rather than
physical mechanics. Even a pause can have lots of energy. While energy
and vigor are related, more energy does not necessarily mean more vigor.
Even the word energy is used often in contexts that go far beyond its
dictionary definition. What about mental energy? And spiritual energy?
I've heard teachers talk about "projecting your energy", "sending your
energy", using "up energy", or "down energy" when they were NOT
referring in the least to "vigor" or "intensity of action". And more
often than not, they were using the term in reference to the connection,
and the communication between partners. Maybe some people feel
differently, but this has been my experience.

Somebody on the list asked about the meaning of the term "energy" when
used in Argentine Tango. Somebody else wrote that it was "tensing the
muscles". I strongly disagreed, and wrote a little note detailing MY
interpretation of how it is used. Some on the list are disparaging my
interpretation because it goes beyond the "exact" definition of the
word. That's fine, but I want to know what a teacher really means beyond
the literal meaning of the words they use.

Last week we had a great discussion of the perceived
definitions/meanings/interpretations of the terms "axis" and "balance";
words used mostly in the literal sense, scientifically describing
aspects of dance, and words whose "exact" meaning should be easily
nailed down. But it was interesting to see how the concepts were viewed
differently by different people. I was looking forward to an
entertaining discussion of something a little more esoteric, such as the
use of the word "energy".

Evan Wallace writes <<<<<Terms like energy already have EXACT
meanings.>>>>> So, Evan, what is the "exact" meaning when an artist
describes the "energy" of a painting or a sculpture?

And he also writes <<<<<Teachers should take the time to learn them, and
learn them correctly>>>>>>> Are we going to create an accepted syllabus,
and standardize all terminology? Tell the teachers they can no longer
use the term "energy" unless they are referring to the amount of work
performed by a group of muscles? Shall we order them not to use terms
that may be slightly ambiguous? Make them abandon their attempts to
teach the artistic and creative aspects?

And again <<<<<<<If experienced dancers can't get within 180 degrees of
the same answer, what is a beginner to do?>>>>>> The beginners are going
to hear all kinds of things from all kinds of teachers, and/or
experienced dancers. Sorting it all out and making personal sense of it
is part of the learning process. They will listen, ask questions, read
this list....and they will end up adopting what they like, and what
works for them, and rejecting the rest.

Part of the value of this list, and any open discussion or forum, is
that many people offer different opinions, conceptions, and values. So
what if we're 180 degrees apart? I was looking forward to reading
something about your concept of "energy" in the dance world, but
apparently you've decided a discussion would be senseless. You also,
apparently, disagree with my previous posting, which is great; your
commentary might provide a different way of looking at things, for me,
for the beginners, and everybody else. You disparaged my "definition",
although I was not trying to define it, only to describe my conception
of the way the term is used. I feel it would be more useful to explain
WHY you disagree, and tell us how you use it, or see it used, or think
it should be used.

Right now I believe we have on the table my opinion
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2006/msg01283.html , or
(2)"tensing the muscles", or (3)a whole bunch of dictionary definitions.
I'd like to hear how others relate to the term "energy", and their
opinions on how it is used; what do they mean by it, or think others
mean.

Best regards,

Michael Figart II
Houston TX