[Tango-L] Learning tango as foreigner

Yale Tango Club yaletangoclub at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 12:08:33 EDT 2006

Hey Alberto
  But... was the teacher a real Congolese? That is the question!
  If he was Argentine that would be very bad because then maybe you were singing, but it certainly couldn't have been real authentic Congolese singing.
  In that case you should have all stopped doing what you were doing right there! Better no singing at all than fake Congolese singing.
  Tine

Alberto Gesualdi <clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
  Dear friends from tango list
I would like to make an aditional comment to this subject, since I have an interesting experience related with learning another thing , that in some way is related to tango.
This past saturday we went with my wife, here in Buenos Aires, to a "voice" workshop . This was the first time ever , I assist to such a workshop, and we were explained that we would use our voice in a simple way , to make sounds and later on the workshop, songs with armonies and contrapunto.
Well, we started making some preparation of the position of the body ( very similar to the tango attitude as dancer , even as amateur tango learning)

Then we made some exercises with voices. And then ... we sing a congolese song .......

There are many things in my life , that I am not sure about. But one thing I am almost sure, is that I am not congolese. I do not know a single word, I do not met people, do not visit the country , and so on.

The teacher could have told us" now you will have to take care of the vowels, since the congolese as spoken in Congo today , is different to the old styles , there are many communities there, and each one speak differently. Also the communities of congolese abroad say they speak the real congolese, and the ones living in Congo today say they are the only that speak real congolese, that the communities abroad can not speak "

Does it rings you any tango bell in some part ?? NO ??:))

Well, the teacher does not say a word, she just put up in a circle and we started , and , believe or not, we were singing ..... and it sounds good , just our voices ( 13 women and 2 men, another coincidence with tango lessons :)

It was a good experience and keep me thinking that sometimes this tango stuff , or how to learn ...... is a bit more sophisticated than the real thing . Of course , a good teacher is needed , and this is the weak point of my argument , I am not sure all tango teachers here in Buenos Aires and abroad , would be able to make their students move .

But I do think it would be good from a student that is starting the first tango lesson, to place aside any prejudices.

I can talk, I was able to sing a congolese song

You can walk ?? You can dance tango :):)

warm regards
alberto