[Tango-L] Energy -- Grabbing the Floor.

Ming Mar ming_mar at yahoo.com
Sat May 13 05:48:17 EDT 2006

Michael Figart II writes:
>"Energy" is not tensing the muscles. The way I look
>at it, the term "energy" is generally used in
>reference to a highly focused connection.

Several years ago, the late Hernán Obispo showed me
the difference between fuerza and energía.  For energy
he placed his hand close to my head and tensed up the
muscles in his forearm.  For force he (gently) moved
my head.

The other place where I encountered the word "energy"
was in Solo Tango's "Así se baile tango."  In one
scene Osvaldo Zotto is shown pivoting and the
voice-over says to put energy in the leg.  It's been a
few years since I watched the tape so I don't remember
what the figure was or which leg the voice-over
referred to, but the only thing that makes sense is
tensing the muscles.

My explanation for "grabbing the floor" also comes
from Hernán.  He didn't take off his shoes to show me
what he meant.  He used his hands:  one hand to
represent the floor and the other hand to represent
the foot.

In those days women here were taught to lean forward
or to push against their partners.  Unfortunately they
weren't told how much of a lean nor how much of a
push.  The result was that men ended up with sore
arms, sore backs, and being destabilized.  I
complained to Hernán about it, and he said that, yes,
it was a big problem here.  I asked him what I could
do to protect my back.  He said that after the dance I
should say, "Gracias.  Hasta la próxima vida."