[Tango-L] Technical vs Sensual - Where are the Engineers from?

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu May 11 07:51:00 EDT 2006

Aron wrote:

> In Hungary a great percentage of male dancers (my guess is well
> above 50%) are engineers, IT people and alike.

Then surely they need to be taught less tango engineering, not more.

This "do a 270 with your left foot pointing at 7 o'clock and your nose a
quarter turn ahead" thinking is not the cure for the problem Caroline
describes as turning people into programmed robots. It is the cause.

> The best teachers I know use a lot of mathematical and physical
> concepts or models

That could easily explain why well above 50% of your male dancers are
engineers, IT people and alike - can anyone else understand the lessons?

Let alone benefit from them.

> everyone with an intermediate level of skill knows that it is first
> and primarily understanding of underlying mechanics...

Actually, no they don't. Just as everyone with an intermediate level of
skill in walking down the street doesn't know it is 'first and primarily
understanding mechanics'. It is first natural motion. If it wasn't,
no-one would be able to take his/her first step.

Or to dance tango. As Jeff's Brother Reginald might have said ;)
"If almost any ***** in Bs As could dance tango, how difficult can it be?"

Chris