[Tango-L] Technical vs Sensual - Where are the Engineers from?

Aron ECSEDY aron at milonga.hu
Thu May 11 05:06:12 EDT 2006

> > follower moves around art a radius of.... Or, dispel the
> momentum of
> > the rebound from the torque into a forward step. Stuff like that.
>
> Well, that gets my vote for Crackpot Tango Teaching Method of
> the Year.

Eventually, it works at times. In Hungary a great percentage of male dancers
(my guess is well above 50%) are engineers, IT people and alike.
Nevertheless, a teacher should know how to communicate in different ways to
different people. This is the job.

There are dancers who want to hear fairy tales of passion, intimacy and
magic when talking about tango, but everyone with an intermediate level of
skill knows that it is first and primarily understanding of underlying
mechanics, controlling and refining movement and when you mastered that,
then you can take time to create the atmosphere you imagined. Otherwise it
will be only freestyle wrestling.

The best teachers I know use a lot of mathematical and physical concepts or
models - even if they don't exactly use engineer jargon to describe them.

Aron

Ecsedy Áron
***********
Aron ECSEDY