[Tango-L] Technical vs Sensual

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 14:32:10 EDT 2006

Very interesting indeed!

I have been learning to dance tango about a year and a half now, taken many classes, danced at the local and other milongas, with a permanent partner and with other women and here's what I experience.

I have been introduced to many "steps" or "figures" (and even came up with some of my own) and continue to think up things. But, at a milonga I still only dance very basic stuff. Women seem to like dancing with me because, they say, i dance to the music and with sensuality.

During practice sessions with my partner or with others or in classes, I can do the new figures, but many of them still do not come naturally to me at the real thing, at the milonga, where dancing is what matters and not how many different figures I can put together.

I suppose once those new figures come to me naturally and as a response to the music and I can do them well (until I can do them both technically well and with sensuality to the music and to my dancing partner), I will attempt using them, - until then my dancing partners and I enjoy the moments of dancing bliss with whatever does come naturally.

Also, I gained my current wonderful permanent dancing partner due to a simple fact that a year ago when she started, she was all uptight trying to "perform steps" and I suggested to her to just dance and we danced and still dance.

...dubravko