[Tango-L] Technical vs Sensual

joaquin joaquinenrobeas at excite.com
Wed May 10 13:56:36 EDT 2006

"Last night, when we practiced, I had to stop everything and exchange roles
with him so that I was the man and he was the woman just so I could show him
how to lead because he was getting so caught up in the technical that I felt
as though we were robots being programmed to do such and such exactly. By
playing the leader, I was able to show him the more natural and sensual
movements of pivoting a woman, of guiding her to where he wants to go with
his shoulders, with the slight pressure of his hand on her back, of leaning
over just slightly as if to walk again the wind.
He was very embarrassed that I forced him to follow but after a few songs,
he began to understand in ten minutes what the last six months had failed to
teach him - which is Tango is a sensual dance between a man and a woman,
done in time to music. Everything else will follow with practice and
improved body memory."

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, Engineers are from somewhere else, but you, Caroline, are definitely from heaven!  Just goes to show that some of the best tango teaching moments are brought to us by our partners, especially those who have a vested interest in our understanding of the dance.

>From Mars,
joaquin