[Tango-L] Getting to Expert - or, Do you Work on your Dance??

Evan Wallace evan at tangoing.com
Tue May 9 14:17:40 EDT 2006

On May 9 Astrid Wrote:

I am starting to get the feel(ing) that for some of you, using the word
"man" and "woman" instead of "lead" (ugh!) and "follow" (ughhh!) would be
like calling a spade a spade, which may be therefore...almost... unspeakable

Astrid:

I quite intentionally used the term "lead" and "follow" to describe
functional roles, not gender roles. The concept of gender is irrelevant to
the technical discussion of axis and rotation, which was the subject of my
mail. (I did, however, very intentionally use feminine pronouns when
referring to the follow and male pronouns when referring to the lead as a
sort of compromise, in hopes of preventing just such a response as yours.)

This one goes in the damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't category. I have
also been vehemently criticized by women for using the term "woman" instead
of "follow," since there are many women who lead as well as follow. So, to
those who are upset that I used the word "follow" instead of "woman," or who
would have been upset if I had exclusively used the word "woman" instead of
"follow," I say: Don't get your panties in a bunch.

There. I'm acknowledging your gender and associating with it a typical
choice of undergarment. Is that better?

Evan Wallace
Seattle, WA
www.tangoing.com