[Tango-L] Axis vs. Balance

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Mon May 8 14:58:31 EDT 2006

I've read the "off axis" messages. I got the impression that some were using balance and axis synonymously. They're not. Here's an experiment. Take a belt with a heavy buckle. Put the end without the buckle in your sternum. (This is the indentation in your chest). Put your feet together.  Stand on your right foot.  The belt buckle will move over your right foot. Now shift all your weigh to the left foot. The belt buckle will move over your left foot. Your axis is over the foot you're standing.

Now stand with your feet apart. Shift as much weight as you can to your right foot. The belt buckle won't move completely over your right foot because some weight will be on the left foot because the feet are apart. In this case, your axis is somewhere between your feet because all your weight ISN'T on one foot.

You have balance AND axis in both cases. However, your axis isn't in the same place when your feet are apart compared to when they are together. This is why your feet have to be together before pivoting. If the axis isn't over one foot, your turn will not be completely circular (such as the man leading a molinete). If a woman's feet aren't together, as she pivots for an ocho, some of the momentum from the pivot will send her outside the circle.

Hope this helps.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Hated geometry in high school. Maybe I'd be a better dancer if I understood it better  XX years ago.

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango