[Tango-L] On Axis, Off Axis

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Sat May 6 17:55:34 EDT 2006

Just a little note for those who try leaning, since I feel myself pretty
comfortable in it.

Going from leaning to not leaning is similar to going from close to open
embrace. It is not easy. And done wrong it is wrong. ( I can not do it )

If you lean - stay leaning. Usually everyone has been taught during a move
to the next step to transfer the weight over a ball of the feet during a
fast transfer ( like on step 4 of basic? ). That creates moving from leaning
to not leaning and back to leaning. It does not feel good. To stay leaning a
woman should step 2-3 inches ( 5-8 sm ) away from the usual. A man can do
the same but it is better when a woman does it.

Since lean is very small (usually) ( 2 pounds? ) to rotate her is as easy as
when she is perfectly vertical. But connection is different. And when you
rotate her - you rotate her around the vertical axis ( another one, not
tilted axis of her body). This axis is beyond her head if she leans on you
and you go around her. Guiding star: pressure created by the lean should be
constant (Ex:Calesita).

The position of vertical axis to rotate her around when she leans vary. If
we do a molinete the axis can be right through our head, right men? That is
the axis ( usually vertical :) ) of a couple as a union, but in lean it
becomes her own personal axis of rotation too ( Just like Bill said ).

How she rotates around her own tilted axis when in lean, I can not explain.
It looks too complex for me now, and I am not a mechanic.

If you do not have that "Core support or inner-tone" ( thank you, Tom!) ,
you'd better work on that before going to lean.

Does it sound too over the head?

Jay:".. apply forward pressure to their partner. Alex uses the expression "2
pounds of force." In order to apply forward pressure, a person must push
with their feet, which has the consequence of putting their center of
mass/force over the balls of their feet."

And beyond, Jay, and beyond. There is no reason to be afraid to put
projection of your center of gravity closer to your partner then the center
of the ball of the foot. And in fact I suspect most are doing it. Then,
there is no reason to push too hard - gravity does it for you, but "forward
pressure to their partner" is important since it creates that "Core support
or inner-tone" - that is the key, thank you!

Bending a standing leg a little makes sense, since it makes the couple more
stable. It is like that bend %\ thing which holds the front wheel of a bike:
it is for stability.

These are just my thoughts I share.
Igor.
And still, what is compression?