[Tango-L] Close all the time vs all ranges debate

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Sat May 6 11:37:49 EDT 2006

My 2cents on a couple of points ...

Bill wrote:
"Follows were told that the lead leads and that they are always right."
Apologies if I appear to be elevating Trenner to mythical status, but I just
find his philosophy insightful and simpatico with my own. He once said
something like, "If you [leader] are right [in leading a step], and the
follower is wrong [mis-steps], then you [leader] are wrong." Leader and
follower both dance to the same music, sort of. The problem is that there
are multiple "voices" or
"themes" in a composition. I may be dancing to the bandoneon, and my
follower may be hearing the vocals or the strings. It has happened,
especially in milongas, with their faster tempo allowing less response time,
that I will hear a change in the music and will change my step tempo. The
problem usually occurs when switching from traspie to regular time. If my
lead is not clear or quick enough, and the follower doesn't catch the
change, I consider that it was my mistake, not hers.

"...it is the follow that initiates, for me whether we will dance closed or
open."
I agree completely. That's the way I was taught too. Women sometimes are
uncomfortable in close embrace with particular partners, for a variety of
reasons. Since their comfort and enjoyment is indeed (IMO) our (leader's)
purpose, we must honor their preference.

     www.TangoMoments.com