[Tango-L] Close all the time vs all ranges debate

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Fri May 5 20:20:52 EDT 2006

Thanks Ed,

Interesting, it really is the teacher. The major difference with my early
beginning classes was the constant reminder of the importance of the walk,
posture and the connection.  Teaching was figures, and separating the lead  and
follow did occur, but we (leads) were encouraged to vary our patterns, to
instill with in the follow that they can't or should not anticipate.  This
approach help eliminate " If you are going to change the order..."  problem.  Follows
were told that the lead leads and that they are always  right. But as a
consequence of that responsibility we had to ensure the  follow looked good.  The
point is that leading and following is a shared  responsibility, and as I
continue to learn, I find it is the follow that  initiates, for me whether we will
dance closed or open. I offer and where she  connects is where we will dance.
Exceptions abound but I was taught it was  not my position to dictate but to
share. The key is mutual enjoyment not self  gratification.  I was also told I
am only as good as what my partner feels,  and it will change with every
partner.

Again just some thoughts,

Thanks,

Bill in Seattle

In a message dated 5/5/2006 10:02:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,