[Tango-L] Studying Latin - Faulty Logic

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Fri May 5 11:31:50 EDT 2006

Lucia wrote:

> The point from the Vatican story, as understood by Jeff,  is that
> complex problems could be resolved by applying a few rules.

Wrong. The point of the story is that people attempt to formulate
systems that are too complex. In the case of Latin there are formidable
theories about how it functions that simply preclude ever using it in
anything approaching real time. Languages must be speakable or they
aren't languages and Brother Reginald's quip about winos really does hit
the nail on the head. If people do something (dance, talk, play music,
etc.) on a routine basis then every part of the analysis should come
from the perspective of making it fit within a real-time framework. Much
analysis fails on this account and the results are simply theoretical
artifices.

> This is  true, arguably, most of the times, but ignores the enormous
> underlying  research and analysis that went into defining each rule.
> Nohing new  here, think exact sciences...

Another way of looking at the problem is to listen to a bunch of dog
owners. They'll argue forever about breeds and their merits but the
basic point is that a dachshund is every bit as much of a dog as a
mastiff.  The dogs don't care one way or another and the problem is the
people's attempt at analysis --  you probably can't come up with a
rigorous definition of a dog in the first place so you are always doomed
to argue over the details. Seems to me this is part of the problem with
these arguments on the list, right? My post, I hoped, was to make a plea
that everyone is trying to understand it the way that works best for them.

>  If Jeff tries, unconvincingly, to apply the rule concept to tango,
> he  cannot follow up on the concept, simply because Tango has a social
> life  that cannot be summed up in a few  rules.

Taken in conjunction with my above statements, much of the discussion on
the list is arguing about the systems involved. A better approach I
suspect (this is possibly my naive beginner mind at work) to think of
tango as being a style of movement and there being a range of acceptable
motions to achieve it. This would be something your average stevedore
could do on a Friday night while slightly drunk. :-)   Believe me he's
not thinking about his stylistic purity or some intricate system of
footwork. He's navigating, keeping a connection and playing footsie with
his partner.

>  We are witnessing, in the current discussion threads on Tango,
> attempts  by proponents of different styles, to hammer-out their only
> Rules, put  them on their own  Pedestal, pray to them and proclaim
> them them  as the only God.  Hence the religious wars. Human, all too
> Human...
>
>  The probable cause for this mentality  is our monotheitic  society...
> Wouldn't it be better to create a tango mythology with many  small
> Gods, and Nymphs, living in harmony?

Hmmmm... one of the cornerstones of Hindu belief is that of polytheism.
As it was explained to me, the central idea is that people do not
worship God but are only able to worship what they can conceive to be
God. If you really think a rock is a deity then that is where you are in
your thinking, at least for now. Therefore, one should be allowed to do
as one pleases tempered with the sympathy that everyone is doing the
best they can with what they have. We should strive for that, shouldn't
we? We don't need more small Gods. Heck, I think we have enough on the
list already! We need people who are fallible and realize they are in
the same boat trying to explore.

Jeff