[Tango-L] leading w/fingers on back

Andrew RYSER SZYMAÑSKI arrabaltango at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 5 09:55:02 EDT 2006

Dear All!

Below is the way I was taught as well. However, I have
since empirically found out that most of the "old
guard" who teach this way don't actually apply it when
on the dance floor, but lead "with the body" without
being aware of it. The most important element in the
dance, whatever the style, is the Centre of Gravity.
It would appear that we lead from the chest, but this
is only to project the CoG forward: our partner can
feel this and moves accordingly. As a consequence I
have now for many years been making my men keep their
right hand in their pocket, and lead from the CoG from
the very beginning. The use of the right hand to lead
usually degenerates into shunting the woman like a
sack of potatoes, as well described by Tine:
"....personally I don't enjoy a lot of hand action on
the back. I have felt the pinch, the claw, the knead
and the piano hand and I don't know what it means so
it doesn't make me do things other than look
puzzled....."
Actually, this way of leading, being very mechanical,
desensitises the woman and is quite tiring for the
man.

Cheers,

Andy.

Andrew W. RYSER SZYMAÑSKI,