[Tango-L] So long, El Valdez + Barenboim

Andrew RYSER SZYMAÑSKI arrabaltango at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 5 09:04:43 EDT 2006

Dear All!

I have made a separate file of this discussion, and
since 26th April there have been at least 73 mails, a
lot of them quite puerile. It started off with a
perfectly innocent but factual remark about
self-appointed Tango teachers [of which we do have a
lot here in London as well], but it quickly brought
out haughty remarks from Tine & Trini, Derick being
condescendingly accused of relative ignorance. I must
say that I am pleased he is around, even if only to
remind us that not all Texans are tarred with the same
brush.... There is nothing wrong with criticism, as
long as it is constructive: we should have more
courage in calling a spade a spade. One thing that can
change Tango into its opposite is conformism. Tango,
like anything creative, is definitely non-PC, and
anybody imposing Puritanism on it for the benefit of
those without initiative is stifling it. I have found
the recent Reith lectures by Barenboim very refreshing
on this subject and strongly recommend them:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2006/lecture5.shtml

Cheers,

Andy.

PS: I know Chris very well and he is actually a
closed-embrace merchant 99% of the time. For my part I
gave up systematically using the milongero style some
10 years ago, and now only do it if the woman wants me
to. After all it is not for the man to impose the
embrace, he should be conversant with all [social]
styles to suit all possible partners.  "The tango is
dedicated to the woman" as Cacho Dante tells us, and
therefore the choice of embrace is hers.

 --- "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)" <patangos at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Dear Derik (or El Valdez),
>
> Thank Sean for our new nickname for you.  Your
> response gave me the information I was looking for.
>

> Your response told me two things:
>
> 1.  Since you never answered my question, not even
> in
> 100 words, you must want nothing from this list.  So
> your participation in this list is pointless.
>
> 2.  You, sir, are gutless.  You didn't have the guts
> to respond to me and tell me off.  Rather you
> directed
> your response to John.  What you are really using
> this
> list for is attacking other innocents rather than
> deal
> directly with the "problems" you see in your
> community.  That is simply pathetic.
>
> So I will be blocking your email address, which will
> stay in effect, even should we have to coordinate
> events with Andres & Meredith (or anyone else)
> again.
>
> I suggest others on this list block his address as
> well.
>
> Let me make it perfectly clear that I am not against
> any differences in opinions that we may share.  You
> are simply rude - and proud of it.  You are someone
> do not care to have in my community.
>
> Trini de Pittsburgh

Andrew W. RYSER SZYMAÑSKI,
23b All Saints Road,