[Tango-L] the dignity of nobodies

andrea ako31 at nyc.rr.com
Fri May 5 05:50:10 EDT 2006

hi all-

i just  saw "the dignity of nobodies", an argentine film being aired at
the tribecca film festival.

it is a documentary about the popular activism that has changed the
economic and political state of argentina - something i had some
knowledge of but not speaking fluent enough spanish, i never really
understand what has  really been going on during all the demonstrations
i see there.

i have always respected the demonstrations but this film reveals the
conditions i have been ignorant of about the country i thought was in a
big economic swing upward. it sounds naive but i really had no idea of
the level of poverty, police corruption, and conditions people are
living in both in and around buenos aires.

the film made me feel like an 'ugly american' dancing the tango while
people are starving and w/o homes and medical care.

the humanity and commitment of the people of argentina who refuse to
sit idly by while those around them are suffering is an astounding
model that we in america can learn from as we passively allow the bush
administration and american corporate interests to continue to reek
havoc at home and worldwide.

maybe its time that we, who have taken so much pleasure from argentina,
can also take some inspiration to motivate us as well.

a n d r e a