[Tango-L] leading w/fingers on back II -

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 17:26:01 EDT 2006

--- Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> The only ones that instruct in leading with the
> chest only are the
> instructors of 'Close embrace all the time'  (
> Susana Miller, etc.).

Actually, Susana Miller does advocate leading with the
arms and hands, even with the ear lobes if necessary.
It took us by surprise.  She fussed over that with us
last year because she didn't think the men were
leading the women strongly enough during the ocho
cortado and turns to the right.  They were not
engaging their arms.

I have also felt a type of hand lead from Robert Hauk,
at least I interpreted it as such since he was
pressing my back fairly strongly in different ways.
It could be that he was just trying to maintain a
strong torso connection though I was trying my dardest
to become his skin.

Oh, and for the diagonal embrace on the man's back -
I have heard from an excellent, excellent dancer that
Alicia Pons (another milonguero-style dancer) uses it
to press the back of the man to get him to pause.  I
guess she uses that, along with her grounding to
suggest pauses.

I think the bottom line is that one has to do what is
necessary to make a clear invitation.

Trini de Pittsburgh

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm