[Tango-L] leading w/fingers on back II - The soap opera continues.

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu May 4 15:19:31 EDT 2006

We should understand then that each tango style has a different teaching
technique because it has a different technique all together.

Most famous tango instructors of Salon style open and close embrace, teach
as described by me in my last note.  They instruct in the use of arms,
hands, fingers, chest, torso, body, legs, thighs and calves. (Nito, Zotto,
Carlos Copello, Mingo Pugliese, Diego , etc, and all the instructors of
Nuevo).

The only ones that instruct in leading with the chest only are the
instructors of 'Close embrace all the time'  ( Susana Miller, etc.).

Those of us that had as sequencial instruction : Salon open, close,
milonguero, nuevo, canyengue . learned all the possible leads and use them
in our dancing and in our teaching.

Those that only learned 'Close embrace all the time'  know how to lead with
the chest only, and this is enough for the style they do.

Example: We lead a boleo in Salon open with the hand at the back and the
chest, in close embrace salon or milonguero just with the chest, in nuevo
with the chest by doing countemotion.

Most elements differ in  technique and in lead.

In this group there are people that are intelligent and know by now, that
there are other ways to dance and to lead than their own.

Then we have the  likes of Michael Figart II that not only are ignorant but
are ignorant of their own ignorance as well, and refuse to recognize that
there is more than one way in which you can cook an omelet.

I recently had some private e-mail exchange with Michael.  He wished to
argue the subject of what we should consider 'Social Tango'.   I patiently
explained again to him that any style of tango done socially following the
milonga codes is 'social tango' and any style done on stage or during an
exhibition is 'stage tango'.  So you frequently see people doing close
embrace all the time in exhibitions and you can see tango fantasia done
socially.

I advised him to avoid problems in the future and just say : "I dance close
embrace all the time and I do things this way" period, and refrain to
criticize other styles or even to compare in a negative way,   to avoid
problems.

Guess what ? ten minutes later he posts my note on leading with fingers
calling this form of leading "tacky".  In his ignorance he believed that all
the tango dancers were going to agree with him but by now there are very few
left like him and we all know where they are coming from.

As I said before this is the ignorant, ignorant of his own ignorance and
totally blind and unable to understand.  the blind leading the blind.

So be it!  Derik I understand your frustration now.

Best regards, Sergio.