[Tango-L] Sorta varied...

Neil Liveakos neil.liveakos at gmail.com
Wed May 3 12:32:31 EDT 2006

Derik wrote<<<< The embrace,although a very cool, really has very little
to do with anything.>>>>>>> I seldom post the list. I don't know this Derick
from Adam's housecat but the embrace, the feeling, and the music are the
essence of the Argentine Tango. The embrace has everything to do with
everything. If you don't have a good connection, then you're not dancing the
Argentine Tango. You're not dancing with your partner. If you don't embrace
the embrace then you've missed the joy of what this dance is all about. Just
for the record I dance open from time to time when the music moves me that
way or if my partner prefers it. I can even move from close to open like a
friggin' bandoneon but that's not what its all about. If you don't get the
embrace then you just don't get it. If you aspire to high-flying boleos then
dance in NYC. If you want the Argentine Tango then go to the afternoon
milongas of Buneos Aires and you will find it. I don't know Derick and I've
never danced in Paris but I have a dollar bill set aside for his trip.

Neil / www.milongasblog.com

On 5/2/06, Michael Figart II <michaelfigart at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello List,
> I just got back from a visit to beautiful Mt Vernon, MO, where I did not
> check email since last Wednesday. What a busy few days on the list!
> Jeez, I had 190 emails to go through.
> Unknown wrote<<<<"As a dancer's propensity to teach increases, his
> propensity to learn decreases at the same rate">>>That's pretty strange,
> all the teachers tell me that teaching is a really good way to learn a
> lot more.
> Derik wrote<<<My view on learning tango:"Stay away from self appointed
> tango teachers." You are the customer.  Why not just watch someone dance
> at a milonga.  If you want to dance like them,"you ask them" to teach
> you what they know.  Do not let people "tell you" that they are
> teachers.  You
> make that decision yourself.>>>>Derik, you're the worst "self-appointed"
> "teacher" I've ever run across, and if this is the way you learned
> tango, I certainly want no part of it.
> Derik wrote<<<<< Andres would probably tell you and all the other "close
> embrace all the time people", to open up the embrace briefly to allow a
> front ocho, and then close the embrace again afterwords.  Variety is the
> spice of life, right?>>>>>That would be fine, I guess, for some, but for
> Derik it's more like "shove her away real quick, muscle her around off
> her axis in a squirmy thing, while looking at her feet and talking, and
> then pull her back in". Yeah; variety! And yes, Trini and Deby were
> right, forward can be done close.
> Derik wrote<<<< As you have heard it said many times, "The embrace opens
> and closes like a bandondeon.">>>>Only heard it once, just now.
> Trini wrote to Derik<<< it is rude for you to place your values on
> others on something so personal and intimate... If I am misreading you,
> then let me apologize..>>>>>> You're not misreading, Trini. It's rude.
> Derik wrote<<<< The problem I have with the "close embrace all the time"
> people is ignorance, and then them trying to spread that ignorance
> around, by promoting their own inexperienced teachers.  If the "close
> embrace all the time people" would just dance the way they want to and
> leave other people alone (not try to teach their ignorance), then I
> would have no problem with them at all.>>>>> Ignorant, huh? Pretty funny
> coming from you. What promoting? What inexperienced teachers? We all try
> to leave your sorry ass alone, but you just won't shut up! That's OK, I
> find your nonsense entertaining, especially as you exhibit your own
> ignorance in every posting.
> Derik wrote<<<< We should not have a tango teachers recruit and choose
> us
> as their victims, and tell us that we are inexperienced fools.>>>>Damn,
> you're right there, Derik; so this has happened to you? But you've been
> dancing well over ten years! Let me know who it was so I can correct
> them; you're actually a very experienced fool.
> [...]

Neil Liveakos
www.MilongasBlog.com