[Tango-L] length of some nuevo songs

Michael Knowles binkster at binkster.net
Wed May 3 03:33:59 EDT 2006

Keith, I sense that you have the musical know-how to carry out proper
edits while retaining musical feeling and direction. If I had to guess,
I'd say very few Listeros would be comfortable trimming a minute or two
from a too-long tango song on their computer. Perhaps you'll find a way
to offer your shortened versions on CD without incurring the wrath of
copyright holders.

The only tango I've ever felt the need to trim is the Brazilian piano
solo 'Plangente' by Ernesto Nazareth as performed by Joshua Rifkin.
Using editing software I took out the /Da Capo al coda/ --I edited it so
that Mr. Rifkin takes the final ending on the first run-through,
shortening the song from an unwieldy and ultimately boring 5:54 to an
engagingly slow and sad 3:21.
--
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
binkster at binkster.net