[Tango-L] why i love nyc

andrea ako31 at nyc.rr.com
Mon May 1 07:00:53 EDT 2006

michael ditkoff wrote: I've never heard "The embrace opens and closes
like a bandondeon." WRONG!! My heart opens and closes like a bandeneon,
not the embrace. Sometimes I can also feel her heart pounding. I may
have to slightly adjust the embrace to allow the woman more room for a
figure, but there's NO good reason to go from close to open. If couples
have to go to open for a figure, it's probably a show tango figure, not
appropriate to the social floor. Or one, if not both, partners are so
stiff they can't dance close because their stiff arms prevents them
from getting close.

hey michael,

why i live in and love nyc is that it is the greatest living social
experiment in tolerance and acceptance on the planet. we make room for
anyone and everything and anything.

the same goes in the tango community here. nothing and no one is
'WRONG' and no one makes rules about tango. on a milonga floor any nite
of the week there is the most open of embraces as of minds. there is
also the closest of embraces, stiff dancers, and graceful ones.

i do hope we can dance when u come here so please let me know when that
is. i would be happy to share a dance that contains the closest of
embrace and the time taken for openness (as all relationships require)
that affords me the opportunity to move gracefully and play w/ my own
wacky embellishments.

we make room for people we disagree with and dont try to convert them
or tell them they are not appropriate on the social dance floor. not to
sound smug but, we are more social than that.

a n d r e a