[Tango-L] More mIlonga at milongas

Christopher L. Everett ceverett at ceverett.com
Mon May 1 03:33:24 EDT 2006

tl2 at chrisjj.com wrote:

>Christopher L. Everett wrote:
>

>>It is possible for a follower to be essentially useless as a dance
>>partner. ... The worst is when they think they know what they are
>>doing. The universal constant with them is that they ... never
>>took beginner classes.
>>

>In my experience, the universal constant amongst useless partners is that
>they /did/ take beginner classes.

Heh,

I'm used to beginner classes that do something useful for
beginners.

The syndrome I was actually addressing is the situation of
people who've taken a few workshops in salon style, but not
much more than that, attempting to pass on "what they know"
to other people.

"What they know" turns out to be the tiny collection of steps
they still remember, divorced from good posture, musicality
or connection.  Stepping on the beat gets left behind in the
rush to teach all the steps they know.

And yes, the dreaded "machine-gun" ocho occurs in this context
too.  Happened to me today.  It could have been worse, my
first experience with auto-ochos was with someone with a lot
of ballroom tango experience: scary.

Christopher