[Tango-L] Milongueros celebrate birthdays in May

Janis Kenyon jantango at feedback.net.ar
Mon May 1 00:32:00 EDT 2006

Ernesto Hector Garcia -- May 8, 1936 -- 70
He's better known as El Flaco Dany and could be called the Fred Astaire of
Buenos Aires.  Dany is one of the handful of milongueros who teach.  Carlos
Gavito opened the door for Dany to teach in Europe. Dany is on the teaching
roster for Tango Fantasy in Miami Beach later this month.

Rodolfo Cesar Indegno -- May 8, 1931 -- 75
He's a small, quiet man who has never been married and has no children to
his knowledge, as he likes to joke.  He disappeared from the milongas for a
while for health reasons.  Rodolfo takes his time to embrace his partner,
and his waltzes are wonderful.  Lo de Celia is his favorite place to dance.

Mario Alan Candamil de Santamaria -- May 13, 1929 -- 77
I'll never forget the first time I danced with Alito eight years ago in
Regin.  Born in Mexico, his family immigrated to Buenos Aires when he was
three years old.  Alito lives in the milongas, especially in El Beso where
he has dinner every night.  His favorite orchestra is Tanturi, and he loves
American jazz.  Guess where he'll be celebrating his birthday?

Ricardo Ruben Calorota -- May 17, 1938 -- 68
Chiche's table in Gricel is where you'll find the milongueros, including his
cousin Mario.  He listens to tango on the radio while puttering in his home
workshop.  I attended his daughter's wedding which confirmed that Argentine
weddings are marathon productions that end with breakfast the next day.

Jose Guillermo Salurso -- May 17, 1934 -- 72
I met El Tano ten years ago in Milwaukee, Wisconsin while he was still
living there with his children and grandchildren.  He immigrated in the
1960s with his bride Emma, but El Tano's heart is in Buenos Aires. His life
is in the milongas, especially in Nino Bien where he is padrino.

Ernesto Ramon Delgado -- May 30, 1935 -- 71
I call him "Tio" and know his entire family.  Ernesto is the youngest of 14
children.  He sings tango and doesn't dance much these days, but his older
brother Hector (75) dances regularly.  Ernesto once told me that he was
married to the mother of his children for many years, but he will always be
married to the milonga.  He gave me the title for my book.