[Tango-L] When lead-and-follow seems to disappear

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Jun 30 15:38:06 EDT 2006

Chris, UK wrote:
> Jake wrote:
>
>> That is what my (now infamous) "Prologue to an Aesthetics" was about. Anyone with a semester's worth of experience in actual aesthetics (whether from the artistic or the philosophical angle) will recognize...
>>
> Damn, that must have the semester I skipped off to dance...

Evidently.

[Chris, UK] >> When the guy keeps his upper body static relative to
hers, and she to his, thence the union. Within that union, the lead is
just kinesthetic gesture, only the suggestion to move... as one.

Look, the dance in close embrace, with a vocabulary limited to walking,
ochos, and giros, is more or less an affair of such symmetry, or union.
But this is a limit set deliberately, in order to dance in a certain
style, and to achieve a certain end. This one style also sets a hard
limit on what walking, ochos, and giros will be. Different embraces and
different styles use a greater variety of moves, and add a greater
complexity to the lead-follow relationship.

Ultimately, if you only dance one style, and believe that style to be
the only one you're interested in, it's obvious that elements beyond its
purview won't concern you. Those elements, however, are not therefore
"wrong."

Moreover, we aren't (to my knowledge) talking about kinds of leading
that violate the connection you refer to as union. We're talking about
other ways, in _addition_ to that connection, to make it happen.
Foot-contact during a barrida, for example, does not replace the torso
lead. It is, however, an additional part of the embrace, and can be
used-- like the hands in the embrace-- to smooth and shape the motion,
as secondary features, while the upper-body connection remains present
and primary.

In any case, the torso connection itself is not completely static, or
shouldn't be, if you seek to create comfort for yourself and your
partner. If it were static, then counter-motion movements such as boleos
would be painful. As it is, we relax and harden the embrace by different
degrees, sometimes minute ones, in order to absorb shock, to pick up the
slack, to smooth or sharpen our movements-- to maintain a kind of
harmony, no matter which embrace we use. The _illusion_ is that we
don't. But let us not succumb to blind-eyeing the very illusions we create.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC