[Tango-L] Leading with hands

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Wed Jun 28 19:33:18 EDT 2006

  Sergio wrote:

  Victor is well known as a dancer and as a choreographer (I know several
  stage dancers that took instruction from him) yet he used his fingers on the
  back of Monica to lead some confusing moves during the show.

  I think the key words are "during the show." I don't dance show tango so I wouldn't use my fingers.
  *******************************************************************************************************************************
  Leading with hands:

  Let's say I walk the lady to the cross to do a "paradita de la mujer" (a
  stop of the woman).

  1 -She is at the cross her lt. foot locked in front of her rt. foot. I place
  my Lt. foot by her Lt. and with my right arm and hand I lower her position
  so that she will extend her right leg to her right side.

  2 -When I lead a boleo (back flick) I use the same move to lower her
  position so that she does a "low boleo" or I express an intention upwards
  with my rt. hand and arm on her back to indicate a "High boleo".

  In these cases the same as in leading a planeo of the woman there is a
  definite lowering intention of the rt. arm and hand although they do not
  move from where they were placed on her back. This is aided by a lowering of
  the torso as well.

  The key words are "This is aided by a lowering of  the torso as well." The arms aren't moving independently of the frame. Leading with hands implies, IMHO, that the hands are not connected to the leader's frame.