[Tango-L] Leading with hands

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Jun 28 15:41:26 EDT 2006

To reinforce Sergio's point, we might examine what happens during the
calecita, a move no leader (none beyond the beginner level, at least)
can claim to be ignorant of.

We lead the follower's rotation with our torsos. That's the fundamental
part. We also relax our embrace (whether it's close or open) so we don't
pull the follower off-axis. That is: we leave our arms with her,
modifying the frame as we move around her.

Now, you could say this is leading with the arms or else its opposite,
depending on how you wish to describe it. But the main point stands: the
arms can be integrated into the lead-- not as autonomous agents, but as
agents in harmony with the torso (and partner)-- in order to clarify the
lead, make things easier for the follower, and ensure good form and good
dancing.

Keeping the frame firm, as beginners are taught (this is at a
*preliminary* stage of dancing, mind you), will usually knock the
follower off-axis in this case. And in this case, we would have no other
way to describe this "torso-only" lead than to call it an example of bad
arm-leading. Or an "insensitive" frame.

Keeping the frame firm, while doing a few other things, of course, may
lead a volcada.

In any case, there is no absolute, right-and-wrong when it comes to
technique; there is only success and misuse in context. Technique in
tango, as in all arts, is a layered phenomenon, as I'm getting tired of
pointing out. It is also circumstantial, which is why those of us
defending torso-plus leading are naming moves and describing situations
in which advanced techniques are appropriate, efficient, and
comfortable. Certainly there are bad dancers out there, who lead with
their limbs *instead* of their center, but if we based our discussion of
technique on them, we'd have nothing to discuss.

There is probably a spectacular place for everything, if only we can
create it.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC