[Tango-L] Leading with hands

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Mon Jun 26 18:39:37 EDT 2006

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> If so, how do you know that the man wasn't
> using his hands "in an unperceptible way, unperceptible to
> the follower and to the spectators."

The way you're communicating is through your connection,
and at least the leader's hand on the back of the woman
is merely an extension of the arm in that connection.
At least if you want to communicate clearly.

Less is more.

The more your arms and hands stay put
relative to your chest, the more clear it is to lead
"desde el alma". The more you're going to try to use
your hands as autonomous agents, the more you'll hide
your current position, orientation and intent to your
partner, and that's exactly what you *don't* want.

And believe me, even when the follower catches your drift,
decoupling your hands from the rest of your body will also be
making the timing of the movement of *her* body be
dependent of the movement of your hands and not your body,
too, making it well nigh impossible to move together in
perfect harmony.

Alexis Cousein                                al at sgi.com
Solutions Architect/Senior Systems Engineer   SGI
--
Bad grammar makes me [sic].